Thursday, 13 April 2017

Yu-Gi-Oh - Duelist Saga Case Opening

I don't generally like newer Yu-Gi-Oh sets, preferring to collect the classic stuff instead but sometimes a new product comes along that is difficult to resist. Such a thing happened very recently with the brand-new Duelist Saga set. Duelist Saga contains a load of reprints of some truly awesome cards but also, a lot of brand-new cards that had previously only existed within the anime. After seeing the full set list, I opted to order a whole case of the set. A single retail mini-box contains three packs, each of which contains five cards. The display case comes with five of these boxes for an overall total of 75 cards (North America's cases seem to be bigger, coming with eight mini-boxes) so I thought I'd get a number of cool pulls if I picked up a case. Furthermore, every card is Ultra Rare with a pretty new parallel kind of foil effect which I quite like. From the set list, there were seven cards in particular that I wanted to get:
  • Dark Magician
  • Blue-Eyes White Dragon
  • Raviel, Lord of Phantasms
  • Uria, Lord of Searing Flames
  • Hamon, Lord of Striking Thunder
  • Armityle the Chaos Phantom
  • Chaos Scepter Blast
Yes, none of those are from the pool of exciting new cards that will work really well in competitive play but I'm a collector anyway. Oddly enough, I've not once owned any of the 'Sacred Beasts' cards since my return to collecting despite buying loads of single cards and joblots in that time so I was pretty pleased to see them all reprinted in Duelist Saga along with their insane fusion form too. So how did I fare in the end?




Of the seven cards that I wanted the most, I pulled five in the end - only missing Raviel and Armityle - so not too shabby. Was also really pleased with the likes of Imperial Order, Cyber Dragon, Judgement Dragon (I got 3 of those!) and Elemental Hero Honest Neos. What I found strange however was that I got a lot of duplicates but seemed to miss out on at least a third of the set, while some videos I have seen show others getting loads of copies of some of the cards I missed but none of some of those I pulled. Makes me wonder exactly how the cards are randomly chosen during the manufacturing/packing process. In any case, I will source the specific cards I am missing from E-bay rather than shelling out on another case. Definitely had fun opening at least one case anyway and I would heartily recommend Duelist Saga to any Yu-Gi-Oh fan as there is pretty much something for everyone in this set.

No comments:

Post a Comment